To accommodate COVID-19 related limitations in acute care settings, we have updated the first phase of our residency to increase hours spent with a dedicated preceptor. For more information, please call 541-274-2306.
Graduating from nursing school and moving into the practice of nursing is one the first milestones for newly licensed nurses. It is also the moment when theoretical learning begins to connect with real-life scenarios. Nursing residency programs are crucial to assist the new graduates to develop clinical decision-making and leadership skills to enable them to flourish in dynamic and complex work environments.
At Sky Lakes we are proud to offer a 1-year nurse residency program that presents the tools, skills, and resources to be successful in the hospital setting. When you join the nursing team of Sky lakes, we can take an active role in helping you feel at home in your new job. This program provides hands-on experience with a variety of patients in different care departments.
Our Nurse Residency Program strives to:
- Build competency in the clinical application of nursing knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors
- Support new graduate nurse’s professional well-being throughout their first year of transition into the nursing practice
- Promote an ongoing spirit of clinical inquiry, integration of evidence-based practice, and lifelong learning.
- Create a network of professional relationships to ensure future success.
The Sky Lakes 2021 RN Residency Program graduates
Sky Lakes RN Residency Program elements
Our orientation program will introduce you to our facility and to the mission and philosophy of Sky lakes as well as to the responsibilities of your new role as a registered nurse. The program will also include the following:
Skilled preceptor: You will be paired with an experienced RN who will provide support, guidance, and feedback every step of the way.
Weekly didactic classroom experience: The heart of the program is a structured weekly group get-together which includes:
Weekly themes that include:
- Effective communication
- Critical thinking
- Anatomy of a medication error
- Professional role development
- Delegation strategies
- Change management
- Team building
- Dealing with workplace conflict
- Research-based practice
Safe space: Being a new nurse graduate can be a vulnerable time. The weekly group get-together is considered a “safe zone” where open discussion is supported and appreciated.
Sky Lakes RN Residency Program requirements:
- Must have successfully passed the NCLEX by the program start date.
- Must have a valid Oregon RN license.
- All new-graduate nurse applicants must go through the residency program as part of the formal orientation process.
- All new graduates can bid for an open RN position during the second half of the program. Once hired into their permanent unit, they will begin the process of transitioning into that department under the guidance of an experienced preceptor.
Frequently Asked Questions from applicants
Nursing students who are preparing to graduate or have graduated and have less than 6 months of experience.
Additional eligibility requirements include:
- BSN (preferred) or ADN/ASN (Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) accredited program)
- At the time of start date, candidate should have taken the NCLEX and hold an RN license for the state of Oregon
- 18+ years of age eligible to work in the United States
Once accepted into the program, we will place you in a clinical area where you will gain knowledge and experience. All new graduates can bid for an open RN position in their desired area during the second half of the program. Once hired into their permanent unit, they will begin the process of transitioning into that department under the guidance of an experienced preceptor.
Yes—as a nursing student you are eligible to apply for the residency program and should plan to apply approximately six (6) months prior to graduation.
The interview will be conducted in person and will consist of an interview with the nursing leadership from various departments as well as a Human Resources representative. We also offer the opportunity to conduct the interview via WebEx technology when an in-person meeting is not possible.
He current starting wage for a nurse resident is $38.80/hr not including differentials.
Each new graduate nurse will follow their preceptor’s schedule which will likely include nights, weekends (every other weekend), and holidays.
Yes, all successful candidates will be guaranteed a position at Sky Lakes and be allowed to bid on open positions (Full time, part-time, and supplemental).
Yes, the same benefits that are associated with a new status employee hire applies to the RN residency program as well. You can learn more about benefits through the Human Resources Department.
Yes, the hospital offers up to $5,000 per year in tuition reimbursement to eligible employees (must have been employed for at least 1 year). Please contact Human Resources for details.
Nurse Residents who have not passed their NCLEX exam by the start date of the program are not eligible to start the program and will have their start date deferred to the next start date.